The following information and answers were submitted by Petra Buljan, she is a journalist with Nova TV in Croatia. She is an incoming Central and Eastern European Journalism Program (CEEJ) Fellow. The CEEJ program was postponed and the fellows will be arriving in the U.S. to begin their fellowship in the spring. Until then they will be participating in a webinar series and will be highlighted through a CEEJ blog post series. Q&A Series with CEEJ Fellows Pt 3: Petra Buljan.
- What is your topic/content or medium (print, broadcast, etc) interests and why?
I work at a TV station and I mainly cover politics. For me, TV was the biggest challenge in a technical sense, and politics is just something I feel very natural in covering. I enjoy asking questions and making politicians uncomfortable.
- What brought you to the area of journalism, what made you want to become a journalist, is there someone that inspired you (another journalist)?
I always loved big events and crowds, all sorts of happenings, but I hated the spotlight on me. Also, I had a passion for writing from a young age. When I write, I don’t feel like I am working, and yet, somebody is paying me to do so. So when all those components are combined, TV journalism seemed like the perfect choice of career for me.
- Why does journalism matter?
Journalism can change lives. It can change lives on a daily basis, and if you do it the right way, it can change society.
- What is your primary challenge as a journalist in your country?
To ask the right questions.
- What is your current understanding of freedom of the press or what does it look like in your country?
Freedom of the press means to do your job and not feel any impact or fear. Not to be afraid of politics, consequences for your job, paycheck, future and/or family.
- What is the one thing you are most looking forward to during your program in the US?
I have never been to the USA and I can’t wait to see how everything works there. The way media works, the way people understand it, and also some new ideas on how to cover topics to make them more interesting and understandable to citizens.
- What are some of the things that have colored your impression of the U.S.?
The U.S. President lately, as well as movies and various drama series.
- What are you hoping to accomplish with this fellowship?
To get another point of view and to implement it in my work.