More than 100 of Africa’s top emerging leaders are scheduled to meet in Dakar, Senegal and Johannesburg, South Africa for the U.S. President’s Young African Leaders Initiative (YALI) Alumni Reunion Seminars. The 2-day seminars (Dakar – September 18th to 19th and Johannesburg – September 25th to 26th) will deepen and expand the networks which the young leaders have built over the last 3 years, and provide a platform on which they can chart a path forward for optimizing the development of their businesses and organizations, as well as their communities and countries. These seminars will also provide opportunities for increased dialogue and engagement between the United States and African Youth.
Hosted by the U.S. Department of State in collaboration with Meridian International Center, these regional events will build on the themes of the President’s Policy Directive on Africa, and will include training, mentoring, action planning, and executive leadership.
Topics which will be covered by a team of expert facilitators from the private and public sectors include:
– Financial Management and Toolkits for Small and Medium Enterprises;
– Branding, Marketing, and Reputation Management; and
– Crafting the Perfect Pitch and Refining Your Messaging
Like the YALI programs which were implemented in 2010, 2011, and 2012, the 2013 Reunion Seminars are designed to meet the following goals:
- Helping young leaders in Africa develop skills and networks to build brighter futures for their countries and communities.
- Reinforcing the U.S. commitment to fostering two-way dialogue between the United States and African youth; and
- Showcasing a new generation of young African leaders who are shaping the continent’s future;