On January 19, Meridian’s Global Service Leaders (GSL) team will honor Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.’s legacy and vision with a day of service locally in Washington, DC and around the world. Addressing Dr. King’s challenge, “What are you doing for others?”, Meridian and GSL will build upon the success of last year’s Warm Up, DC program, and collect, donate and share items to be distributed by the International Rescue Committee in Silver Spring. IRC offers education, nutrition, clothing, and family support programs to newly arrived refugees and their families
To achieve this goal, Meridian will be partnering with neighborhood businesses along the U Street corridor that will act as collection sites for donated goods. These include:
- CakeLove will accept gently used sweaters in return for a mini-cupcake.
- City First Bank will accept gently used gloves, hats, and scarves.
- The Press will accept gently used coats.
- Signature Image Salon will accept toiletry items.
Meridian’s campus at 1624/1630 Crescent Place, NW, will transform into a multipurpose community service center, hosting a number of projects and opportunities to volunteer, including:
- “I Have a Dream Lab” – A multi-faceted volunteer fair, which will bring together skilled volunteers, sponsors, community members and local organizations for a day of impact through pro bono service, ranging from marketing and branding, Human Resources, IT, and financial literacy. All beneficiaries are asked to give back: in turn for receiving advice, must commit to one hour of service at one of the many hands-on projects happening on-site.
- GSL Virtual “Perfect Your Pitch” Lab – Parallel to the volunteer fair, GSL’s international membership will benefit from one-on-one virtual consulting sessions to fine tune their “pitches” – especially helpful when seeking supporters, partners, and/or financial support.
- Bicycle Collection & Safety Check Site – Working with partners in every corner of the globe, Bikes for the World collects, reconditions, and ships bicycles to distribute to those in need of this viable transportation option. Bring your old, unused bicycle (or bike parts) to donate, or bring your working bicycle for a complimentary safety check.
- Stuff-a-Backpack – Looking for volunteers to help stuff 100 backpacks with the supplies necessary for success in school.
- Twice as Warm – To stay warm on what’s expected to be a chilly day, we welcome Twice as Warm to sell their cozy hats, gloves and scarves. For every purchase made, Twice as Warm will match it with a corresponding donation to IRC.
- MLK Day for Kids – Parents who are participating in the day’s events may bring their children to also contribute to the day’s activities—stay tuned for more details on the hands-on projects offered.
The day’s events will conclude at 3:00pm with a hot chocolate toast, to thank all of our partners and participants for a successful day of service, warming up, DC. For more information, please email email@example.com. We hope you can join us!